Assigning a static IP address to your network is not a job you should get done with. Unless you are an advanced user, who wants to use their home network in a better way. There are quite a lot of people out there who choose to use their printers over the network or wants to share files between one PC to another. In this kind of scenarios, you have to set up a static IP address. However, the question is how to setup a static IP address?
If you have a similar question in your head. Then let me just help you out with all the steps that you have to follow to set up a static IP address. So here we go:
How to setup a static IP address?
The easiest way to assign a static IP address to your network is to use the control panel. Although, you can do it from the command prompt. But using the control panel is the best option you can go with. To use the control panel, you can follow these below steps:
- First of all, open control panel.
- From here, you have to go to the network and internet.
- Then click on the Network and Sharing Center option.
- From the left panel, click on the “Change adapter settings” option.
- Then you have to right click on the network properties and go to properties menu. (In most of the cases, it would be labeled as Ethernet).
- Now you have to select the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option.
- Then click on the properties menu.
- Now simply select the “Use the following IP address” option.
- Over here you have to enter your static IP address. For example, 192.168.1.50.
- Then you have to set up the subnet mask. Generally, for the home network, the subnet mask is always the 255.255.255.0.
- Now you have to set the default gateway. The default gateway refers to your router’s IP adresss. For example, 10.1.2.1.
- Then from the “Use the following DNS server addresses set Preferred DNS server” section, you have to enter your router’s IP address. You can also use DNS server. However, this option is only recommended when you want to reach to a specific server.
- In the end, click on the ok button and close all the menus and you are all done.
So that was an answer to your How to setup a static IP address question. I hope this will help you out with your query. Also, in case if you have any questions to ask. Then do feel free to comment below.