How To Permanently Delete Your Skype Account
Skype is one of the best communication tools that enable voice, text, and video chatting. It comes with the easy-to-use interface, and users can get in touch with friends, family, and clients living in distant parts of the world. But a point might come when you wish to delete your Skype account. It should be known that your Skype account is linked with Microsoft Account. It is linked to many services. So, when deleting one account, It would delete other linked accounts as well. For instance, by deleting Skype, you would lose access to OneDrive documents, Outlook inbox. In addition, you cannot open Xbox Live GamerTag. Read on to know more about how to delete your Skype account on a laptop and PC.
How to Delete Skype Account on your Laptop or Desktop Computers?
Following some easy steps, you can delete Skype account on a laptop or desktop.
- First, you have to sign in to your Skype account at Skype.com using a proper web browser.
- After opening the account, you have to go to the account settings option and click on ‘settings and preferences’ heading.
- Just beside your Microsoft account, you have to click on the ‘unlink’ option.
- After this, a confirmation message would pop up. Following this, you have to click on the ‘confirm’ option that would forward the action of deleting the account. Make sure that your Skype account is not unlinked with Microsoft account. When you unlink, it will sign you out from your Skype account.
- Following this step, you have to cancel the Skype subscription for any recurring payments that are linked with the account. When opening your Skype account using the web, make sure that you click on the subscription that you wish to cancel from the blue bar that comes on the left side.
- You have to click on the ‘Cancel subscription’ option to continue with the procedure.
- After this, you have to click on ‘Thanks but no thanks, I still want to cancel’ option that would confirm the cancellation.
- If you have purchased a Skype phone number to make calls, make sure that you can cancel it. For this, you have to click on your Skype number that would come under the ‘manage features’ section in your account. After this, from the settings option, you have to click on the ‘cancel Skype number’ option. You can also activate your Skype number subscription, you have to click on ‘Skype Number’ option from the ‘manage features’ section. After this, you have to reactive settings beside the number which you wish to reactivate.
- Also, you have to disable the auto-recharge facility in your Skype account in case of recurring payments. You can do this from the account details when deleting the account using the web version. After this, you have to click on the ‘bills and payments’ option and then click on the ‘disable’ option that comes under the ‘auto-recharge’ option next to the ‘status’ option.
- After canceling your Skype subscriptions and disable recurring payments linked with the account, you can contact Skype customer service to notify them that you want to delete your account.
However, if you are signing up with Microsoft account, you can start following from step 5 directly. When you are trying to delete your Skype account through a PC, you have to follow some easy steps.
Steps to Delete Skype in PC Windows:
- Skype keeps a list of whoever is logging into your account, so you have to delete Skype’s AppData folder when you wish to delete it from your system.
- This way, you can delete individual signs in the list from the name of contacts in your Skype account.
- After this, you have to open the start menu and enter ‘%appdata%\Skype’ in the box that shows up. This way, you can launch Skype after you delete the above-said folder.
However, it should also be known that if you wish to delete your Skype account from PC permanently, you may not be able to do so. For this, you have to delete your personal data that you have saved in your Skype account. After it is done, contact customer service with a request.
How to Remove Personal Data From Skype Profile?
By removing personal details from your Skype account, other users can no more search you in Skype. Some easy steps are detailed below.
- Changing profile picture – For changing profile picture, you have to tap the option ‘My Info’ on Skype when using on the iOS version, then click on the profile picture and remove it. When using Skype on Mac, you can simply click on the camera icon to set a profile picture.
- Changing your status – It is better to leave a polite status message in your Skype, which will help users understand that you are no more active in the application. In Skype, tap ‘My Info’ option or you can click on your profile picture to update your profile details.
- Setting status to online or offline – This is one of the important steps to consider as people can no longer find you in Skype. Again from ‘My Info’ option, you can change your status to invisible or offline.
- Sign out from all devices – If you wish to discontinue using your Skype account and delete it on a permanent note, make sure that you sign out of all devices through you have logged in to your Skype account. In the chat window of the application, you can type the chat command ‘/remotelogout‘ on any device. Since this is the last step, you should not forget to sign out of the current application that you are using.
The Final Part:
Therefore, you should follow the correct steps to delete your Skype account. With this, you have to cancel your account subscriptions when you wish to delete it. The best way would be to delete only your Skype account without disabling access to other accounts that are linked with your Microsoft account. For this, you have to delete your personal details added on Skype application. So, follow the multi-step process properly to delete your account.