Staff Selection Commission holds Combined Graduation Level Examination with the purpose of recruiting staff in various posts in different ministries, departments and organizations of the Government. SSC has published all dates for the examination. The examination will be held in four tiers. Tier l or the Preliminary Exam will start on 2nd March 2020 and will continue till 11th March 2020. Tier ll and lll are scheduled from 22nd June to 25th June 2020. The candidates must understand the exam pattern and the complete SSC CGL syllabus.
SSC CGL Syllabus
The Syllabus for SSC CGL Examination 2020 is out. The syllabus contains topics for all four tiers and their respective subjects.
Exam Pattern for Tier l
Tier l is divided into four sections, all carrying the same marks.
|Serial No.||Sections||Number of questions||Allotted Marks||Allotted Time (in hours)|
|1||General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50|
Syllabus for Tier l
General Intelligence and Reasoning
The SSC CGL syllabus for General Intelligence and Reasoning is quite long. The included topics are-
- Similarities and differences
- Decision making
- Visual memory
- Relationship concepts
- Syllogistic reasoning
- Arithmetical reasoning
- Statement conclusion
- Different forms of classification and analogy such as numeric, semantic, symbolic, figural
- Coding and decoding
- Space visualization
- Space orientation
- Pattern folding
- Social intelligence
This paper aims to test the candidates’ awareness of all surroundings. The topics as per the SSC CGL syllabus are-
- India and the neighbouring countries.
- Current Affairs
This paper of Quantitative Aptitude is set to test the numeric sense of the candidates. The topics under this paper are-
- Loss and profit
- Linear equation
- Basic algebra
- Different aspects of a triangle and circle, height, prism, quadrilaterals, distant, diagram, degree, angles etc.
The candidates’ capability to understand the English language is measured by this paper. This paper includes-
- fill in the blanks
- synonyms and antonyms
- one-word answers
Exam Pattern for Tier ll
There are four sections in tier ll. The number of questions, allotted marks and time for all four sections are the same.
|Serial No.||Sections||Number of Questions||Allotted Marks||Allotted Time (in hours)|
|2||English Language and Comprehension||100||200||2|
Syllabus for Tier ll
This paper is set with the purpose of testing the ability of the candidates. The questioner will be based on topics such as-
- Loss and profit
English Language and Comprehension
This paper will evaluate the candidates’ hold over the language. This paper will include-
- narration change
- phrases and idioms
- spotting errors and spelling mistakes
- Antonyms and synonyms
- one-word answer
- comprehension passage
The topics for Statistics as per the SSC CGL syllabus are-
- Collection, classification and presentation of data,
- correlation and regression
- measures of dispersion
- measures of central tendency
- moments, skewness and kurtosis
- index numbers
- statistical inference
- random variables and Probability Distributions
- Moreover, the syllabus of Statistics includes various theories such as
- Probability Theory
- Sampling Theory
- Time Series Analysis
The SSC CGL syllabus of General Studies in tier ll is divided into two parts, which are-
Part 1: Finance and Accounts
- basic concepts and fundamental principles of accounting such as single and double entry, original entry books, journal, bank reconciliation, trial balance, manufacturing, trading, accounts non-profit organizations, balance sheet distinction between capital and revenue expenditure, receipts, payments, income and expenditure accounts, exchange bills, appropriation accounts, profit and loss and rectification of errors.
- Nature, scope, basic concepts of financial accounting and generally accepted principles of accounting
Part 2: Economics and Governance
According to the SSC CGL syllabus, the topics of Economics and Governance in tier ll are-
- Comptroller and auditor general of India, their constitutional powers, role and responsibility
- Finance commission, their role and responsibility
- Indian economy, the role of information technology in Governance
- Money and banking
The SSC CGL syllabus for Tier ll may seem similar to the syllabus of Tier l.
Exam Pattern for Tier lll
Unlike the first two tiers, tier lll has only one paper. However, candidates are allowed to choose their preferred language.
|Subject||Allotted Marks||Time (in hours)|
|Descriptive paper in English or Hindi||100||1|
Syllabus for Tier lll
The candidates can write this paper in either Hindi or English as their preference. The preferred subject needs to be decided while filling out the application form. Candidates must earn a minimum 33% score to qualify this tier. The difficulty level of this tier is of 12th standard. Candidates should work on their language proficiency, grammar and vocabulary. The topics of tier lll as per the SSC CGL syllabus are-
- Essay writing
- Precis writing
- Application writing
- Letter writing
Exam Pattern for Tier lV
Tier lV is a technical paper. This paper contains two sections.
|Subject||Allotted time (in minutes)|
|Data Entry Speed Test||15|
|Computer Proficiency Test||—|
Syllabus for Tier lV
Candidates seeking the post of Tax Assistant, CSS, MEA and Inspector are required to appear for this tier.
Data Entry Speed Test
The candidates, applying for Tax Assistant are required to write 2000 words from an article in English in 15 minutes.
Computer Proficiency Test
Candidates must have skills in topics such as-
- Word processing
- Generation of sliders
Appearing for Tier l of SSC CGL examination is compulsory for all candidates. Tier ll and lll are scheduled almost at the same dates. Therefore, candidates have to take preparation for both tiers simultaneously. Candidates will qualify for Tier 3 only by scoring the combined cut off marks of tier l and ll. All candidates may prepare for Tier lll, but their exams will be valid only if they pass tier l and ll.